If you’re an aspiring author who wants to publish with KDP, this guide is for you. We will walk you through everything you need to know about publishing with KDP. You’ll be ready to make your publishing dreams a reality by the end of this guide.
So, let’s get started.
What is KDP?
KDP is an online publishing platform that allows you to self-publish your work. Amazon owns it, so your books will be available worldwide on Amazon.com and other Amazon websites.
KDP offers many features to help you self-publish your work, including:
- Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP), which allows you to publish ebooks
- CreateSpace, which will enable you to publish print books
- Kindle Countdown Deals, which will allow you to run special promotional discounts on your ebook
- Kindle Matchbook, which allows customers who have purchased a print book from Amazon also to buy the ebook for a discounted price
How to publish a book on KDP?
Here’s a step-by-step tutorial to help you get your book published on Amazon’s KDP:
1. Choose the suitable book format: Kindle format (.mobi) or PDF
When publishing a book, you’ll need to choose between Kindle format and PDF. The Kindle format is specifically designed for reading on Kindle devices and apps; however, you can read PDF on any device.
2. Create a Kindle Direct Publishing account
To publish a book on KDP, you’ll need to create an account. It will only take a few minutes to set up your account.
3. Complete your author profile
To publish a book on KDP, you’ll need to complete your author profile. Which includes filling out your publishing history, contact information, and biography. You can find instructions on how to do this here.
4. Add your book manuscript
Once you have a publishing account and have completed your author profile, you can begin adding your book manuscript. This can be done by uploading your file to our platform. We accept various file formats, which you can find listed here.
5. Set your book pricing and publishing rights
After adding your book manuscript, you’ll need to set your book’s price and publishing rights. You can find more information on how to do this here.
6. Review your book publishing checklist
Before publishing your book, we recommend that you review our publishing checklist. This will ensure that everything is in order and there are no last-minute problems.
7. Publish your book!
After completing all the steps, publishing your book is easy. Just click the publish button, and we’ll take care of the rest. Congratulations, you’re a published author!
How much does it cost to publish with KDP, and how do you receive payments from sales?
Publishing with KDP is free, and you receive payments from sales as royalty. For books priced between $2.99 and $9.99, authors receive a 70% royalty rate. If your book price is below $2.99 or above $10.00, you will earn a 35% royalty rate. On top of the regular royalty payment, you also receive an additional 6% for books sold in developed countries (like the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom) and 4% for books sold in less developed countries (like Mexico and India). There are no fees deducted from your royalties, so you earn 100% of each sale. You can choose to be paid by check or electronic payments (such as direct deposit or Amazon gift card). You can also set up a publishing account with KDP to receive prices in other currencies.
Are there any restrictions on what you can publish on KDP, or who can publish books through the program?
There are a few restrictions on publishing with KDP. You must be the author and copyright owner of the book, and it must be original content (not posted elsewhere). The text must also be in English, and you must have the right to publish all content. KDP reserves the right to remove any books that violate these terms.
There is no age requirement to publish with KDP, and there are no restrictions on publishing genre or subject matter. However, KDP does reserve the right to refuse publishing for any book that it feels does not meet its publishing standards.
What are the benefits of publishing with KDP?
KDP offers many benefits that can be helpful for authors publishing their books. These benefits include:
– KDP makes it easy to publish your book and get it out into the world. You can create a listing for your book on Amazon, and KDP will help you format your book for publication and even distribute it to other retailers.
– KDP offers a wide range of publishing options, including print-on-demand publishing and e-book publishing. This flexibility can be helpful for authors who want to reach as many readers as possible.
– KDP also offers many marketing and promotional opportunities, which can help you reach more readers and sell more books. You can participate in Kindle Unlimited, run Kindle Countdown Deals, and use Amazon Advertising to promote your book.
– publishing with KDP can be a great way to get your book into the hands of readers worldwide. With KDP’s global reach, you can sell your books in countries where you might not have otherwise had the opportunity to reach readers.
What are the drawbacks of publishing with KDP (if any)?
There are a few drawbacks to publishing with KDP. You don’t have control over the cover design and layout, and you don’t earn more money on each sale. Finally, you may find getting your book published in Brick-And-Mortar stores difficult.
How can you market your KDP book effectively before and after publication?”
One great way to market your KDP book is by building an author’s website. Doing this will give you a central location to promote your work and provide potential readers with more information about you and your writing. Additionally, be sure to use social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter to spread the word about your book.
You can also engage in online marketing campaigns, such as advertising your book on websites or email blasts. Finally, don’t forget about traditional marketing methods like book signings, interviews, and reviews. By utilizing all of these strategies, you can significantly increase the visibility and popularity of your KDP book.
That’s everything about publishing with KDP. We hope you found this comprehensive guide helpful in learning about publishing with KDP and will help you on your journey to self-publishing success. If you have questions or need more assistance, please don’t hesitate to reach us for help. Be sure to check back more information about what is print on demand and tips on all things publishing!